About Us:

General Info

Directions

Who We Are

Who We Were

Ministry Opportunities

Contacting St. Luke

About St. Luke - Who We Were

St Luke United Presbyterian Church is the result of the merger of two churches with a strong religious influence in the area they served. The churches were Oakland Presbyterian Church (organized April 18, 1895), located on the corner of Garfield and Woodlawn and First United Presbyterian Church (organized December 17, 1894), located on the corner of Girard and Baltimore.

On December 20, 1959, the Oakland Presbyterian and First United Presbyterian Churches voted to merge. Land was purchased in the Williamsdale subdivision and building began in March 1961. The first service in the new St. Luke facility was Palm Sunday 1962. The new building quickly became home to not only the church, but many community programs, as well. Over the years St. Luke has been led by five ministers Robert Vanderhart, Robert Clark, William Stone, Terry Phleger and Janet Dillaman.

The motto of St. Luke is "A Caring Family of Faith", which the congregation and pastor use to guide their ministries in the Middletown community and beyond. Small groups include the Clipper Club, Generations Fellowship Group, Elizabeth Circle, the Chancel Choir and several small home groups. The Session and Deacons, in addition to the Evangelism, Christian Education, Stewardship and Worship teams keep our ministries focused on caring for our congregation, community and world. The bell in front of St. Luke was brought from the Oakland Church and is the oldest bell in Middletown. The bell is a symbol of our heritage - our faith and hope - that we may always be used in the spirit and service of Jesus Christ now and in the future.

Home | About Us | Our Ministries | Sunday Mornings | Special Events | Calendar | Contact Us

All images and content Copyright 2008 St. Luke United Presbyterian Church. All rights reserved.
Site designed by Simply Creative Web Design.